DEFIANT Louis van Gaal has vowed not to quit as Manchester United boss despite seeing their winless run stretch to eight games.
 

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal refuses to quit Old Trafford after Chelsea draw
Louis van Gaal insists he will fight on as Manchester United boss after drawing 0-0 with Chelsea

 
Van Gaal, who hinted he could resign following defeat by Stoke on Saturday, was encouraged by the performances of his players and the response of the fans during .
And the Dutchman revealed that, after crisis talks with executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward following Saturday's loss, the club's board of directors remain behind him.
He said: "Will I resign? On the contrary. When the players can give such a performance with a lot of pressure, there is not any reason to resign for me.
 
"Maybe the media wants me to but I shall not resign. It's not a question of staying, it's a question of fulfilling my contract. For me, it [his future] is not an interesting subject because I cannot have any influence on that, I can only work with my players and you can see they are fighting for me.
"Even after this result the fans were applauding so I cannot say I'm very much concerned. In this football world you never know but I'm fully confident in the board and my players.
"I thank my players for the performance but we need a victory. It gives a lot of hope for the fans. My relationship with players, board and staff members is very good. There is no reason to sack me. But when it happens to Jose Mourinho, then it can happen with me.
 
"The results are not good enough. I know that, the players and board know that. It can be different in about one month."
Asked if the crisis was over, he added: "I think the crisis is the environment we are in. Inside of the club the players are willing to fight for every metre, the manager is willing to fight, the members of staff are willing to fight and the board is very confident in the staff and the manager, so it [the crisis] is not inside Manchester United."
But while he was pleased with the performance, Van Gaal admitted he was frustrated that United's failure to score for the ninth time this season cost them a badly needed victory.
 
Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal refuses to quit Old Trafford after Chelsea draw
Manchester United and Wayne Rooney have struggled desperately for goals this season
 
"It was a very good performance, we were the dominant team, we have attacked 70 per cent of the game and created chances," he added. "But you have to score a goal and we didn't.
"We have forced the luck and still we didn't score and that is unbelievable when you see what happens today. I am frustrated.
"Twice when the goalkeeper was beaten we hit the post. And we had two cases for penalties. We are not having the luck we need."
 
Chelsea boss Guus Hiddinck was satisfied with a point, especially as his ream did not have a recognised striker available. But he admits they are still looking over their shoulders at a relegation fight.
"Of course I am worried [about relegation] but I would have been more worried if there was a lack of confidence or a lack of ambition.
"Tactically it was ok, defensively we were organised. We didn't have the full power to hurt them but everyone is convinced to do his full best for the team. I think it is normal to see that character and the desire but they showed a lot of ambition as well."

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top