Manchester United legend Dwight Yorke confirms Aston Villa management interest
Dwight Yorke says he wants be taken seriously for the Aston Villa job
DWIGHT YORKE has claimed he's not crazy for showing interest in the vacant Aston Villa manager's position.
 
Tim Sherwood was sacked by the club yesteday after just eight months in charge at Villa Park and Yorke immediately put himself forward for the position.
He said: "I want the Villa job. I've worked for some top guys and that club means a lot to me. I'd like to give it a go."
 
And now the former Manchester United striker has reiterated the claim, saying he has the credentials to manage in the Premier League.
“People are going to say I’m crazy for putting my name in the hat,” he told the Alan Brazil show on TalkSPORT.
“But I’ve been involved in football for a very long time and, having played for Aston Villa for ten years, I’ve looked at the club and seen the direction they’re heading in – it’s a dire situation.
 
Manchester United legend Dwight Yorke confirms Aston Villa management interest
Dwight Yorke spent 10 years at Villa Park
“Yes, Tim was sacked yesterday and that’s very sad, but it’s a situation that’s been ongoing for around five years now.
“You look at the way Villa have spent their time in the Premier league, avoiding relegation just by the skin of their teeth. They’re bottom of the league now and it’s a very worrying time for the club.
“You look at their squad and think they should be doing much better than they did under Tim, but the most worrying thing is that their main rivals in the table, the likes of Leicester, West Brom and Stoke, they all have better squads and for me that is absolutely crazy!
 
“Aston Villa are supposed to be the biggest club in the Midlands, but they’re nowhere near. They think they are a big club but the reality is that Villa, certainly in the last five or six years, have been deteriorating rapidly and that’s why they’re at the bottom of the table.
“People will say I don’t have any experience, but we’ve seen people with experience go in there and struggle to do a job. I know that club inside out and I’ve looked at the squad, there’s enough in there to get them out in this position and there’s enough time as well.
“It’s whether the owners are prepared to give an aspiring young manager an opportunity.”

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top