Man United boss Louis van Gaal admits he fears sack after Jose Mourinho's Chelsea axe
Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal doesn't want to suffer the same fate as Jose Mourinho
LOUIS VAN GAAL is haunted by the prospect of ending his glittering managerial career with the sack.
 
Following , Van Gaal fears he could be the next big name to go if he fails to spark an immediate improvement in Manchester United's results.
Van Gaal believes he still has the support of the Old Trafford board and his players but accepts some fans are beginning to lose faith after a six-week spell during which United have gone out of the Capital One Cup and Champions League, fallen six points behind Premier League leaders Leicester and struggled for goals.
And the 64-year-old Dutchman admits the prospect of being fired from what will be his last job in a management career spanning three decades is fuelling his desire to transform United's fortunes.
"The pressure was higher when I was starting out as a manager because I had more to lose then but, no, that doesn't affect my hunger or desire now because I don't want to finish my career with the club sacking me," he said.
"That would be a great disappointment for me to say goodbye to the football world by being fired. I think [protecting] my honour is much more of a pressure for me than the pressure of the media and the fans."
 
Van Gaal was shocked by the departure of Mourinho, his coach in his first spell at Barcelona in the late 1990s, but says it serves as reminder that no one, whatever their track record, is safe from the sack if results take a prolonged dip.
Asked if he felt secure he said: "How can I answer that? I can't. I feel I have the full confidence of my board and my players but we have to get results, we have to win, because when you lose too much it's the end of the world for me also.
"Mourinho is a fantastic manager with a record that nobody has in this football world but it [the sack] was still possible. I cannot judge what is happening at Chelsea but it was a big surprise for me. I didn't expect that."
While Mourinho "lost" the Chelsea dressing room, Van Gaal denied suggestions the chemistry between him and his players has also broken down.
"The main thing is always the results and, second, the chemistry between the players and manager and his staff," he said. "I've said several times the chemistry is fine here. I've seen articles that's it's not like that. It's a bit crazy, but that is the world we live in."
 
Van Gaal knows . "It's always like that when you lose - fans have to prove their belief again. When you lose matches that [belief] is less at that moment.
"The board of directors can see what you can do as a manager in practice but the fans cannot see that so when you lose, you need the belief of the fans. But that is a question for the fans to answer, not the manager."
Van Gaal hopes skipper Wayne Rooney - - celebrates his 500th appearance for United with a much-needed goal and victory against Norwich at Old Trafford.
"I hope he scores a goal because it is a big day for him," he added. "Not too many players have reached that record. We hope to give the result that everybody is expecting."
Norwich boss has his own problems with an internal investigation continuing into a late-night city centre scuffle involving goalkeeper John Ruddy.
Mobile phone footage has emerged of 29-year-old Ruddy needing to be restrained during a heated exchange at a taxi rank in the early hours of last Sunday morning.
 

Man United boss Louis van Gaal admits he fears sack after Jose Mourinho's Chelsea axe
John Ruddy is part of an internal investigation after a late night scuffle on Sunday night

 
Ruddy, capped by England in August 2012, had recently lost his place in the starting XI to 24-year-old Declan Rudd, and watched from the bench as Norwich drew 1-1 with Everton last weekend.
Neil said Ruddy remains available for selection until the probe is concluded, and stressed players must take responsibility for their own actions.
"You are in the public eye, so you have got to try to be on your best behaviour at all times and you represent the club wherever you are," he said. "Their actions will have direct consequences to what happens to them.
"I can't go and babysit them, the responsibility falls upon them."
Neil accepts his out-of-form team need to start getting results sooner rather than later if they are to avoid becoming entrenched in the relegation zone, having dropped there on goal difference.
"The fact we have not got as many points as we would like is a worry," he said. "However, performance-wise we have been competitive in most games, and if that continues, then results will follow."

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top