Arsenal star speaks out on lack of game time after Arsene Wenger blocks move away
Chambers has struggled to make an impact in the Arsenal team this season
ARSENAL defender Calum Chambers says he is glad Arsene Wenger stopped him going out on loan.
 
The 20-year-old joined the London club from Southampton in the summer of 2014, and was immediately blooded in the first team, but since has struggled for minutes, starting just one league game this season.
But after Wenger told him he was going to stay with Arsenal even if he wasn't playing, Chambers has since worked hard at his game.
"I feel I have learned so much over the last two years and I am happy," Chambers told the Daily Mail.
 
"I don't think it happened too quickly. It just happened very quickly. It was a whirlwind start but I took it game by game and I enjoyed it. 
"At the moment, I have changed position to centre back. I'm not getting so much game time but I am still working in training and trying to fight for my place."
Arsenal's settled centre back pairing of Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny has proven difficult for Chambers to break up, and even when either have been injured, Wenger has preferred Gabriel Paulista as his back up.
 
Arsenal star speaks out on lack of game time after Arsene Wenger blocks move away
Chambers has three caps for England, but is currently with the under-21 squad
However, Chambers is still learning his trade in middle of defence, having played right-back at Southampton, and understands Rome wasn't built in a day.
"I'm not down or anything," Chambers added. 
"When you are not in the team, you have to prepare for games as if you are in. You have to do everything the same.
 
"In training, Per always gives me advice. Laurent is the same. I feel I can go up to them and ask them anything and learn from them. 
"I watch them in games all the time, learning and it is helping me get better and better."

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top