STEVEN CAULKER didn’t know what surprised him the most - signing for Liverpool or being asked to play up front by Jurgen Klopp.

 
Liverpool new boy Steven Caulker more shocked at debuting as a striker than joining Reds
Steven Caulker made just his fourth Premier League appearance of the season at Anfield for Liverpool
 
The entrance off the substitutes bench with just two minutes of normal time remaining on Wednesday night against Arsenal saw the 24-year-old central defender launched into a striking role alongside Christian Benteke.
Within seconds it had paid off with Liverpool scoring to snatch a 3-3 draw.
No wonder Caulker’s head was still spinning as he looked back over 24 amazing hours in which QPR had recalled him from a loan spell at Southampton to send him to Anfield on a similar arrangement.
Now Caulker who has a single England cap, scoring in a 4-2 friendly defeat against Sweden, will be involved today against Manchester United.
 
On his Liverpool debut as a striker he admitted: “When the manager told me I was going up front, I was laughing because I thought he was joking with me.
“But thankfully the decision paid off because we got the draw. Everyone was happy with that.”
It capped a surreal few hours for the player who started his career at Spurs.
“I got the phone call on Monday evening and I arrived on Tuesday for training. It came as a shock because I was having a bit of a frustrating time at Southampton. So to come to a club of this stature and size is obviously a great honour and something I could not turn down.”
 
Caulker only made eight appearances for the Saints. He explained: “About one or two weeks after I signed,  Virgil van Dijk signed and I was behind two good centre halves there in him and Jose Fonte.
“I had to be patient and unfortunately opportunities were few and far between. But I thank them for the opportunity and I’m now happy to be at Liverpool. The original plan was to be there until the end of the season, but when this came around, it was too good to turn down.
“For me now it’s just getting as much game time as possible. That is the main thing, along with helping the team push for trophies and push to try and get in the top four.”

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top