Liverpool legend reveals which former England man he wishes he'd played with
Aldridge was prolific for Liverpool, with a ratio of better than a goal every other game
JOHN ALDRIDGE has revealed that he is desperate to play with Steven Gerrard when he heads to Australia for a Liverpool legends game in January.
 
Aldridge was prolific in his three-and-a-half-year spell at Anfield, helping them secure the 1987/88 first division title, and scoring in the 1989 FA Cup final win over rivals Everton.
And while the Irishman managed 50 goals in his time at Liverpool, he thinks he could have grabbed a few more if he'd have had Gerrard in the team.
"I've played with some great centre forwards over my career, but watching Stevie over the last 15 years when I've been doing commentary, I always think I'd have loved to have started up front with him in the hole behind me," Aldridge said.
 
"If I can get ten minutes of that [in Australia] then it's something I'll treasure."
Gerrard has returned to Liverpool to train during the MLS off-season after LA Galaxy's exit from the play-offs, although manager Jurgen Klopp has ruled out any short-term loan back to the club.
But Gerrard will don a Liverpool jersey at least one more time, when a team of legends managed by Gerard Houllier takes on an Australian Select XI in Sydney.
 
Liverpool legend reveals which former England man he wishes he'd played with
Gerrard is back in a Liverpool shirt and training with the first team while the MLS is in off-season
"It'll be played in great spirits, but it'll be serious," Aldridge added. "They'll want to win as much as we want to win. You're sportsmen and you're competitive.
"I'm honoured to be part of a Liverpool football team going out there. I'm looking forward to it but I'm sure I won't be starting."
Gerrard, who is to train, is excited to line up in red again, albeit not in front of the famous Kop.
 
“It will be great to play with the official Liverpool FC Legends," said Gerrard.
“The squad looks like it’s a great set of lads, it’ll be good to get on the pitch with them. Our fans are the best and to play in front of them again will be emotional, I’m sure.”

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top