LEICESTER players apart, you'd struggle to find a happier Premier League footballer this Christmas than Newcastle keeper Rob Elliot.
 
Newcastle keeper Rob Elliot thrilled to feature in festive fixtures ahead of Everton clash
Newcastle keeper Rob Elliott is delighted to just be playing this Christmas
 
Recent Boxing Days have been spent warming the bench and a few weeks ago, even a place in the squad seemed a long shot for the 29-year-old who was third in the pecking order behind Tim Krul and Karl Darlow.
But injuries to that pair handed Elliot an opportunity he didn't see coming and he has grasped it with both hands.
Now he is not just producing the goods on the pitch but has emerged as a key figure in the dressing room too.
 
Newcastle boss Steve McClaren credited Elliot with the rallying speech at half-time which sparked the comeback win at Tottenham.
And the Republic of Ireland international will again be an influential figure before and during this evening's game against Everton at St James' Park.
"I like to think I was a bit of a leader even when I was sitting on the bench or not even in the squad," he says. "But when you're playing regularly and doing okay, it does breed confidence to say things to others.
 
"We're quite a young team and still coming together as a club so I guess with a bit of experience - though not quite as much as I'd like on the pitch - I decided that once I got my chance, I needed to be even more vocal.
"I'll only say something if it's positive though. I don't believe in negative stuff because that will have no effect."
Elliot's positivity has paid off with a string of man-of-the-match displays in the Magpies' mini-revival which sees them defend a three-match unbeaten run today.
And the former Charlton keeper admits he's enjoying one of the best spells of his career.
 
Newcastle keeper Rob Elliot thrilled to feature in festive fixtures ahead of Everton clash
Elliot and the Newcastle players visited the Royal Victoria Infirmary last week
 
"It's definitely right up there," he added. "All I have ever asked for and wanted is a run in the team. An honest chance.
"Unfortunately it came because Tim got injured but it's given me an opportunity to really show my worth.
"In the summer, I probably thought my career was over here. Not in a bad way, it's just I wasn't playing and had little prospect of breaking in.
"Looking back, it did look as if I was going to be leaving but thank God I didn't.
"This is all I have ever wanted. To stay here and play regularly. I'd stay for the rest of my career if I could.
 
"I always felt I was good enough to do that but it's just about getting the chance to prove that
"Of course, I don't think I am anywhere near that after just nine or ten games. You need to be playing years like Tim has done. At least three or four seasons.
"But it's been a really good turnaround. It feels refreshing almost re-energising.
"To go from not being involved to playing every week has been a great experience.
"In a way I've been lucky because the fans have always liked me but in the past, maybe more as a person than as a player!
"Now it's both and I've got this great rapport with them. Hopefully that relationship can continue and even flourish."

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top