MAROUANE FELLAINI has given Louis van Gaal food for thought as he attempts to solve Manchester United's goal shortage.
 
Fellaini scored one and registered two assists in his comeback from a calf injury in a run out for United's Under-21s against Liverpool on Monday.
The Belgium international has started only one Premier League game this season, the 3-1 win over Liverpool, but could come into contention for Saturday's match against West Ham with United really struggling for goals.
Van Gaal and his team have been heavily criticised for over-cautious tactics after managing only seven goals in their last nine games in all competitions, but Fellaini underlined he knows the way to goal with a volley before helping to set up goals for Nick Powell and Sean Goss.
Despite his lack of starts, Van Gaal has said that he would not consider selling Fellaini because he gives United a different attacking option, even if it is as a substitute.
Van Gaal was frustrated that United failed to find the killer instinct in their draws against PSV Eindhoven and Leicester, two games he felt they should have won.
 
"This is the kind of match you have to win if you want to be champions. We have to create more chances, but we had chances to win both games."
Ander Herrera, meanwhile, has dismissed reports that he is unhappy at United and is heading for showdown talks with Van Gaal.
Herrera took to social media to confirm his commitment to the club.
The Spanish midfielder, who is out with a hamstring injury, said: "The only thing I can do is try to keep fighting and try to keep giving everything within me when I pull on the red shirt. I try to enjoy it.
"What I am doing at United, I enjoy a lot so I don't want this dream to finish. I have to play as well as possible if I want to play as long as I can at this club.
 
Fellaini impresses in Man Utd Under 21 match to boost chances of first-team recall
The Belgian has struggled to secure a regular place in United's starting XI this season

Fellaini impresses in Man Utd Under 21 match to boost chances of first-team recall
Marouane Fellaini impressed for Manchester United U21 side against Liverpool
"When I was in Spain, I always thought about the best teams in the world and maybe the biggest and mostsupported club is Manchester United. "So I worked very hard to be here. When I was in Spain, I was very professional and had to be very consistent to get here.
"Now I am here, I always say the same thing - the most difficult thing is to stay at a big club. Of course, it is difficult to arrive at a big team in the first place, but it is even harder to stay there.
"The club has the possibility to sign new players and it's a very powerful club. I have to fight for my position and gain my position and I will do it."
His compatriot David De Gea has revealed his greatest save was from current teammate Juan Mata - when he was wearing Chelsea colours.
De Gea picked out his finger-tip save from Mata's free-kick in United's 3-3 draw at Stamford Bridge three years ago. "The one from Juan's free-kick is the best I've ever made," he said

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top