Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho hits out at Liverpool over Brendan Rodgers sacking
Brendan Rodgers is something of a disciple of Jose Mourinho, having worked under him
JOSE MOURINHO says he feels sorry for Brendan Rodgers after he was sacked to be replaced by Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool.
 
The Chelsea boss is himself under pressure after a poor start to the season sees the London side sitting 11th – just below Klopp's Liverpool.
But Mourinho, under whom Rodgers worked as youth and reserve team manager at Chelsea, told the Irish Times that the Northern Irishman manager should have been given more time in the Anfield post.
"You know, I feel sorry that somebody lost his job," said Mourinho.
 
"And it is quite sad that football in this moment – even in this country – is happy with it.
"I’m not speaking about Jurgen, I’ve a good relationship with him and nothing will change that. I’m speaking about the circumstances that made Brendan [Rodgers] lose his job. 
"I don’t like people being excited that a new manager is coming. I don’t like a player to say: ‘Now, we are going to give extra to prove to the new manager.’ Give to Brendan! Not to the new manager.
"I don’t like this at all. It’s part of my world I don’t like. My world is changing so much. It’s getting worse.”
 
Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho hits out at Liverpool over Brendan Rodgers sacking
Mourinho himself is under pressure to perform at Chelsea, but has the support of the club
The self-titled 'Special One' still enjoys the adoration of the Stamford Bridge crowds, but should his side continue to struggle in the Premier League and in Europe, their patience even with him may run out.
Pep Guardiola and Diego Simeone have been installed as first and second favourites to become the next Chelsea manager, should Mourinho be dispensed with.
And the 52-year-old is well aware that the sword of Damocles is hanging over him, but as with Rodgers' dismissal, he believes the club is better off sticking with the man in post.
 
"In football there is a culture,” Mourinho added. “I’m not sure of the right word in English – but I think it is ‘vulture’.
“The culture of the vulture. When they feel something can happen, they start coming around [circling]. It’s something I never did. 
"When I was without a job for six, seven months in 2007, I always behave the way ethics tell me to behave. I didn’t go to football, didn’t comment on football, didn’t fly over stadiums where they were having difficult results. I was quiet. I was waiting. Now there is the culture of the vulture.” 

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top