Louis van Gaal is demanding more bust-ups between his Manchester United stars to save him from the sack.

 
Man Utd's Louis van Gaal encourages more dressing-room wars as boss takes a back seat
Louis van Gaal's Manchester United have not lost a match in 2016 in all competitions
 
Van Gaal was delighted at the half-time dressing-room row that sparked United's win at Anfield on Sunday after complaining that his players were too quiet and polite with each other.
Although the pressure on the United manager has eased slightly following their five-game unbeaten run, Van Gaal admits it will be back on if they fail to follow up by beating Southampton at Old Trafford today.
And he believes players must take responsibility for performances, saying rollickings from a team-mate have a more positive effect than from the manager.
"Was the row good? Yes, I invited it!" he said. "Players have to take responsibility - but at the right moment. I have also seen it in my career at the wrong moment. At the right moment you have to do it.
"I remember, for example, when I was manager of Ajax and it happened between Danny Blind and Frank Rijkaard at half-time in the 1995 Champions League final against AC Milan - and we went on to win the game.
 
"Do I stand back and let it happen? That's what I always do because I believe in corrections from fellow players. That is more important than a correction from a manager.
"That is what I want because players are responsible - it is not only the manager."
And after United denied having talks with Pep Guardiola, Van Gaal dismissed suggestions that he could quit this summer with a year left on his contract.
"I don't think the media have to help with my decisions," he said. "First, they have sacked me and now they are interfering with my future. I don't think I have to answer that question. What is happening in the media is a different world. I am here for three years.
 
"The pressure is a little bit gone but it would return if we lost against Southampton. It is always the same pressure for Manchester United - we have to win. Our fans are always expecting us to win, especially at home."
Van Gaal says he will step up his search for a new full-back after Ashley Young was ruled out possibly for the rest of the season. Young will have an operation on a severely torn groin muscle and he joins three other full-backs - Luke Shaw, Antonio Valencia and Marcos Rojo - on the long-term injury list.
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman, who expects to have new £4million signing Charlie Austin available, said: "They are a team with a lot of strengths but also a team with some weaknesses and we know because earlier this season we were very close to having a better result than losing 3-2, and we have the experience of winning after 27 years at Old Trafford.
"We know we can beat them but we have to be really good in all the aspects of football."

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top