THERE was a time when Brad Smith would have given an arm and a leg for one chance to make it at Liverpool. Little wonder that he is grabbing a second opportunity with both hands.

 
Liverpool youngster reveals how Jurgen Klopp helped save his Anfield career
Brad Smith has credited Jurgen Klopp with saving his Liverpool career
 
Amid the cluster of unlikely names on the team-sheet for the original FA Cup tie with Exeter 12 days ago, it was that of Smith which, in many ways, stood out and not simply because he conjured a .
The left-back’s Anfield career looked over at the end of last season after failing to agree terms on a new contract.
Trials at Barnsley and Rosenborg in Norway followed and offers were forthcoming, though Liverpool retained Smith’s registration throughout, aware they would be entitled to compensation if ties were severed because he was under the age of 24.
Rapprochement came unexpectedly in November. Jurgen Klopp was newly installed and, whether coincidence or not, there was a new-found willingness to resolve the dispute.
 
Smith is reluctant to disclose the fine detail, but a fresh start is benefiting both. 
“Was I worried it was the end? Yes, definitely,” said Smith, who was playing for Australia U23s as well during the time he was in between clubs so to speak which helped maintain his fitness. “A lot of things go through your mind when things like that are happening.
“You don’t know what is going to happen. It is hard, hard for your family and friends. I was living with my mum at the time and I was speaking to staff at Liverpool throughout the whole time.
“I am just glad the way it has turned out.”
Smith’s situation is similar to the stand-off currently ensuing with the likes of Jon Flanagan, Jordan Rossiter, Joao Teixeira who are all out contract this summer. Jerome Sinclair is also in the final months of his deal, although Watford are poised to bid.
 
Klopp said yesterday young players should put their football education before their bank balance and Liverpool appear willing to indulge in a game of brinkmanship with agents. If the player leaves that is a risk they are prepared to take.
Smith’s debut came as far back as December 2013 in a defeat at Chelsea when Brendan Rodgers was in charge, but four appearances under Klopp since his return to the fold has whetted the appetite of the pacey full-back. 
“It is going really well. I am enjoying it,” said Smith. “The manager has been really good. Obviously there are a few youngsters up at Melwood that he has been looking at. He is really hands on with the young players and he tells you want he wants.
“He has been telling me what he wants from me in terms of my crossing and when he wants me to put my crosses in which is helping a lot to be honest. Everyone is benefiting.”
Pay-back for Klopp came in the 73rd minute at St James Park. Liverpool were trailing 2-1 when Smith battered home a left-foot shot in the penalty area to deny the minnows and the BBC executives praying for an upset.
 
Liverpool youngster reveals how Jurgen Klopp helped save his Anfield career
Smith celebrates scoring Liverpool's dramatic equaliser in the 2-2 FA Cup draw with Exeter
 
An injury epidemic forced Klopp to throw an inexperienced team together with Smith having never even played with many of his team-mate before.
“It was the same for a lot of players they hadn’t played with each other and for some of the players coming back off loan it was the first time they had met the manager,” he said.
“It was a challenge to come together quickly and I think we all put a good shift in and it was good to get a replay in the end.
“I think we showed a lot of heart for such a young team.
“I know I am not the youngest in the group anymore so I tried to help out. We all dug in and it was good. If people were expecting us to fail then that’s up to them, but they didn’t get what they wanted. The boys dug in.”
 
For many, Smith included, a first game at Anfield now beckons with the winners hosting West Ham in the Fourth Round. It will be another milestone in a career back on track.
“Probably starting my first game away at Sion was my biggest moment,” Smith added. “But then I have been getting a few other chances so I am just trying to enjoy my football.
“There was the goal as well. I don’t usually score which is why my celebration was a bit poor, but it was good to get my first goal for Liverpool.
“It was difficult because after the game it was such a tight changing room that we just wanted to go and get the plane back. But he (Klopp) just said, ‘congratulations’ and he was happy.
“I got a hug, yes. He loves his hugs doesn’t he?”

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top