IN the frenzied celebrations which followed Liverpool’s penalty shoot-out success over Stoke, the focus from Sky’s cameras predictably fell on Jurgen Klopp’s beaming face.

 
Jon Flanagan Interview: Liverpool star on Klopp's gesture, injury nightmare and the Kop
Jon Flanagan and Jurgen Klopp celebrate getting to the Capital One Cup final after beating Stoke
 
This time, however, he was quick to cede the spotlight, pointing the lens in the direction of nearby Jon Flanagan instead.
If the moment said everything about the Liverpool manager and his team-first ethos, then it said much more of the full-back.
“To see that was just brilliant,” said Flanagan. “A manager like him and he recognises the struggle I have been through. A nice gesture like that is just brilliant for me and keeps me upbeat.”
Flanagan is hoping the “struggle” is now over.
 
The drudgery of nine-hours spent each day recovering his fitness in the gym behind him, the discomfort in his knee long gone and the only thought in his head holding down a regular role once again at his boyhood club.
It had been 20-months – 626 days - between Flanagan’s previous start in the final game of the 2014 season, the day Liverpool’s title ambitions were officially declared deceased, and Tuesday’s return to the first XI when an injury to Nathaniel Clyne presented an unexpected window of opportunity.
Typically, he vaulted straight through, playing 105 minutes when the club’s physios had prescribed nearer to 60 and, even then, he told Klopp he could have continued. 
A place in the Capital One Cup final against Manchester City next month was a prize worth cherishing, but the relief of resuming a promising career, one that had just gleaned England recognition when injury struck, was reward in itself.
 
“It has been a terrible time for me throughout the injury, but now to be back out there playing is just a great feeling,” said Flanagan.
“It was just a cartilage injury and it just dragged on a bit. I got told I wasn’t going to be out for as long as I was and I was unfortunate that I had to have a second operation.
“To keep going for the length of time I have been out is hard to get your head around.
“I never thought I would never come back. I always knew I would overcome it. I always stayed positive.
“It has been mentally tough, but I think I am a strong character. You always have your moments, but you just have to stay positive. You cannot go
 
“I would be in at 8am and do a morning cardio-vascular session with the lads in the gym, a bit of treatment and then all the gym work after that. I was here until 5 or 6pm each day. They were long days, tough days really, when all the lads are coming in, going training and getting off within three hours.
“Matt Konopinski has been working with me every day and the two lads from the gym, Jordan Milsom and Dave Rydings have been a massive help. I can only thank them. It has not been easy for them at times.
“You are always going to have those days when you are going to be frustrated and not in the mood and those three lads have been brilliant to me. They have got me through this, kept me up and kept me going really.”
The other person Flanagan credits is his father, John, who once dreamed of a Liverpool career only to be released as a scholar because his attitude was not right. With him at his son’s side, there was never any chance of throwing in the towel.
“My dad always drills that home. He had his chance and he knew what went wrong,” said Flanagan jnr, who will hope to feature against West Ham in the FA Cup today although he may yet be held back for the midweek visit to Leicester City.
 
Jon Flanagan Interview: Liverpool star on Klopp's gesture, injury nightmare and the Kop
Flanagan celebrates making the Capital One Cup final with his Liverpool team-mates at Anfield
 
“I would be in at 8am and do a morning cardio-vascular session with the lads in the gym, a bit of treatment and then all the gym work after that. I was here until 5 or 6pm each day. They were long days, tough days really, when all the lads are coming in, going training and getting off within three hours.
“Matt Konopinski has been working with me every day and the two lads from the gym, Jordan Milsom and Dave Rydings have been a massive help. I can only thank them. It has not been easy for them at times.
“You are always going to have those days when you are going to be frustrated and not in the mood and those three lads have been brilliant to me. They have got me through this, kept me up and kept me going really.”
The other person Flanagan credits is his father, John, who once dreamed of a Liverpool career only to be released as a scholar because his attitude was not right. With him at his son’s side, there was never any chance of throwing in the towel.
“My dad always drills that home. He had his chance and he knew what went wrong,” said Flanagan jnr, who will hope to feature against West Ham in the FA Cup today although he may yet be held back for the midweek visit to Leicester City.
 
“He has been there and done it before. He just keeps hammering it home saying you don’t know how lucky you are. He gets me going to be honest. He has been a massive influence on my career.
“Every day when it wasn’t going well and you are frustrated he was always there to speak to and give me advice. Stuff like that.”
There are no brash promises from Flanagan, none of the usual clichés that he is returning better and stronger.
He says the experience hasn’t changed him: "I’m just the same really."
Yet that is all Liverpool supporters crave. The return of the tough-as-teak defender, who once set the tone for a Liverpool win at Old Trafford by crashing into Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie and Juan Mata inside the first 10-minutes of the game.
  
Jon Flanagan Interview: Liverpool star on Klopp's gesture, injury nightmare and the Kop
Flanagan jostling for possession with Stoke's Xherdan Shaqiri during the semi-final second leg
  
A player whose first inclination is to pass forward and whose DNA says accept responsibility.
That Flanagan grew up in the shadow of Anfield - he could hear the roar of the crowd from his bedroom on the occasions he did not attend matches – underpins his affinity with The Kop.
When his comeback came as a substitute against Exeter last week, the reception he received left him with goose-bumps.
“I wasn’t expecting that and it hit home that the fans are all behind me,” he says. “It was a bit emotional for me. It was a great feeling.
“I am like one of them really. I think that is the connection. It does bring a bit of pressure but it something I would love to take on. I would love that pressure."
However, Flanagan does not receive respect because of his Scouse accent. It is his talent which cements the relationship.
 
His contract expires in the summer and it has long been a personal view that Liverpool should secure his future and remove any uncertainty.
In the meantime, Flanagan, now 23, is intent upon making up for “lost time."
“I just want to play as many games as possible, get back into the side and hopefully try and win a bit of silverware,” he said.
“It was disappointing given the stage I was at, with the England call up and all that, to be injured but hopefully I am through that. I just want to get back to that level now.
“The fear with long term injuries is that you never get a chance again. The lads here have all seen how hard I have worked and that I want it. I think I want it more than anyone else.
“The competition is good. There are a lot of full backs. Hopefully I can just impress enough to get a spot.”
There is a short pause.
“Left or right,” he adds.
His rivals have been warned.

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top