DIMITRI PAYET was reduced to tears by the passionate reception he received at Upton Park on his return to the West Ham side.
 
Dimitri Payet makes extremely emotional return for West Ham at an embracing Upton Park
Dimitri Payet is West Ham's top scorer in the Premier League this term with five goals
 
Playmaker Payet has been absent since early November due to a high ankle sprain but his recovery was quicker than expected.
Fans at the Premier League encounter against Liverpool on Saturday welcomed back their talisman as he came on as a second-half substitute for Enner Valencia in their 2-0 victory.
A cameo appearance in the 64th minute saw Payet offer supporters and manager Slaven Bilic a glimpse of what they've been missing. 
His creativity and prowess in attack was highlighted with some silky skills and eye for a through ball in his short spell on the field, but by then the Hammers had comfortably seen off Jurgen Klopp's men.
 
On his comeback, according to West Ham's official website, Payet said: “Honestly, I had shivers during the warm-up before I came on. Then that ovation, I thank all the supporters who are behind me and believe in me. It's a powerful feeling and I had tears in my eyes.
“It's true that the year's started well. I'm pleased that we've won and we had to do it against a team of Liverpool's calibre. For me to come back under these circumstances is a really good start to the year.”
As attacking midfielder Manuel Lanzini was taken off during the weekend's contest, Payet's return could not have been timed better. 
The France international may now make his first start since November against Wolves in the FA Cup third round home tie on Saturday.

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top