ROMELU LUKAKU distinctly remembers the two moments that altered the course of his Everton career and set his trajectory back on an upward ascent.
 
Exclusive: Everton ace Romelu Lukaku discusses his agent, being dropped and Jose Mourinho
The Everton hitman recalls the moment that helped his career propel to new heights
 
One was being axed for Everton's last trip to Newcastle when, almost a year to the day, the striker was demoted to the role of substitute against this afternoon's opponents.
Then there was a brusque phone-call from his agent, Mino Raiola, whose stable of stars includes Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Paul Pogba.
Raiola announced himself to Everton last season with the jarring quotes that Lukaku would never have joined the club had he looked after him earlier. It may come as a surprise, therefore, that rather than turning his client's head, he is the one responsible for bringing focus.
 
"Let me tell you something about Mino Raiola," said Lukaku, laughing at the idea his decision to switch from long-standing representative, Christophe Henrotay, last term should set alarm bells ringing over his future.
"I signed here and when I was not in a good moment, he was the one who said the reality. He said stuff to me that no one would say to me. Mean things about me like, 'You play like a woman. You play like a girl who has never played the game sometimes.'
"Then he would take examples of Zlatan and Bergkamp and all those players: 'Oh, you want to aim for the top? Well you are not playing like a top player.'
"He said stuff that really hurt me and I have my pride. He told me at the end of the day it is all about goals.
 
"He said: 'Goals, goals, goals, goals. If you are a striker, you need to score goals and you need to be professional and do this and that.'
"What I am doing now, it is credit to him also. He picked my brain mentally because I was at a very low place at the time.
"When I am not doing well the phone is ringing and sometimes I don't want to hear it. But I am 22 now and I have to face the reality.
"He has a very good relationship with the manager as well. In pre-season, the manager, Mino and me had a conversation.
"I had to hear a few things about me in training and what I had to do and from then on it was like unleashing the beast: Go onto the pitch and show us what you can do."
 
Exclusive: Everton ace Romelu Lukaku discusses his agent, being dropped and Jose Mourinho
Lukaku has already scored 13 goals this Premier League season
 
Raiola and Martinez may have helped jolt Lukaku out a fallow period a year ago when he was affected by an illness to his father and a post-World Cup hangover, but he remains the one who picked up the gauntlet.
Given Raiola also represents Mario Balotelli, he will recognise imparting wisdom does not always have the desired effect.
Lukaku recalls being dropped on Tyneside with typical honesty.
"I knew it was coming," he said. "I wasn't playing well. I wasn't doing a great job for the team at that time. I knew it would come. So when it came, I thought, 'Okay, when I get the next opportunity, I have to react.'
 
"When I was at Chelsea, it happened. I played one game but I didn't take that opportunity and he dropped me for the next game. I never reacted.
"So I thought if it happens here, there is something wrong. I knew I had to work hard every day and show that I am the best striker in the team. I came on against Hull (in the next game) and we lost but I tried to have an impact.
"I then started against West Ham and I scored in the last minute. It was a turning point for me. I played like I should always have played and from that point I was always looking forward."
His mention of Chelsea raises the question of his thoughts on Jose Mourinho's departure, the common perception being that had the Special One shown more faith in nurturing Lukaku's talent he may have had a striker this season who could have seen him through shark-infested waters.
 
Exclusive: Everton ace Romelu Lukaku discusses his agent, being dropped and Jose Mourinho
Lukaku left Chelsea for Everton after finding opportunities limited under Jose Mourinho
 
In setting the record straight on his loan move to Everton in 2013, and his subsequent £28m permanent transfer a year later, Lukaku paints a different story.
"Choices have been made by me. By me. Not by them," he says, pointing to himself for extra emphasis.
"Everyone says it is Mourinho's fault, but it is not his fault because I made the decision. I went to his office to ask if I could go.
"He was the first one to say, 'Good luck.' When I signed the deal (at Everton) at 11 o'clock, I got a text message on my old BlackBerry saying 'Good luck, do your best and I will see you next season.' He was the first, nobody knows that and that is why for me he gets immense respect.
"It is really sad he has to go."
 
His confidence is unshakable and having scored in seven successive league matches, he will privately be targeting Jamie Vardy's record of 11 consecutive games. The 12th match of Lukaku's run would ironically come at Stamford Bridge.
Before then Everton, fresh from their defeat with Leicester, must push on and begin eking out reward for a group of players whose potential needs to be realised.
"We are ruthless with each other," said Lukaku. We will say "you are not doing this!" but at the end of the day, we all want to win so we accept criticism from each other.
"The first year when we were here, if someone didn't give a pass you'd be shouting at each other: 'Why are you shooting? Why are you not giving the pass?!'
"But now it's more encouragement. We are all positive in our play, which helps a lot. If someone holds on to a chance, you say: 'Ok, well done, on to the next one.'
"That is how you create a bond with the players. You try to coach. You stay positive. Sometimes if it is not good, you just accept it and you move on.
"That is how we roll."

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top