Aguero urges Man City to not dwell on Liverpool humbling as he sets his sights on Juventus
Sergio Aguero looks dejected during the defeat to Liverpool
SERGIO AGUERO insists shell-shocked Manchester City must not dwell on their embarrassing home defeat to Liverpool.
 
The Argentina striker has urged his team-mates to concentrate on making amends by winning in Juventus tomorrow to ensure they finish in top position in their Champions League group and, hopefully, ensure an easier draw in the last 16 round.
He said: "It wasn't a good performance on our part but I don't blow wins or losses out of proportion. Now we must be focussed on Wednesday's game."
Despite Saturday's confidence-sapping setback, Aguero believes City are finally developing as a European force in their fifth season in the Champions League.
 
"I've always said it was only a matter of time before we got into our stride in the Champions League," he added. "Since I arrived here, the draw has been very tough on us. We have always drawn great teams in the group stages, teams which got through to the semi-finals or final.
"But we have to be prepared for that. In previous campaigns maybe we didn't have the experience, maybe some players did not know what it was like to play in the Champions League.
"So the first few seasons were difficult, dealing with the nerves and the expectations, but now most of us have enough experience. We have very good players and I think we are on the right path.
 
"Now we are more experienced and we are developing naturally. But our will is as strong as it's ever been and we want to excel and go as far as we can. The team was brilliant against Sevilla in our last group game."
The only positive from City's capitulation to Jurgen Klopp's rejuvenated Liverpool was the fact Aguero returned from a seven-game absence with a hamstring injury.
He marked his return by scoring a goal that took him past compatriot Carlos Tevez as the top South American scorer in the Premier League.
Aguero, who now has 85 Premier League goals, one more than former City team-mate Tevez, insists he will continue to play with 100 per cent intensity despite a history of muscle injuries.
 
Aguero urges Man City to not dwell on Liverpool humbling as he sets his sights on Juventus
Sergio Aguero now has 85 Premier League goals
"I always try to kick into top gear," he said. "I can't imagine playing in any other way. Sometimes these unfortunate things [injuries] happen but the ultimate reward only comes if you give it your all.
"I did feel well before the injury. I had taken a special training programme to specifically avoid overexertion and I felt in good condition. But you never know when an injury is going to come. I went to play as I usually do - giving it my all. Then at one moment, when I went to kick the ball, I felt the strain.
"It was a shame because I hadn't had a muscular injury in over a year but what happened happened and I can't turn back the clock. The important thing now it to take the time needed for it to be a full recovery - and that's what I'm doing."
City manager Manuel Pellegrini is set to shake-up his team after Saturday's defeat with Nicolas Otamendi, Fernandinho, Fabian Delph and Pablo Zabaleta are all set for recalls in Turin.

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top