GUUS HIDDINK believes he can sort out Diego Costa, because he too once threw a strop at his manager.
 
Guus Hiddink: This is why I can sort out Chelsea bad boy Diego Costa
Diego Costa has only scored four goals this season in the Premier League
 
Costa's dreadful season plunged to a new low at Tottenham a month ago when he was dropped to the bench by Jose Mourinho and threw his bib at the manager in a fit of temper when told he was not coming on.
The striker also rowed with Mourinho on the pitch during the Champions League game at Maccabi Tel Aviv, and has looked out of sorts all season with only four goals to his name having admitted he had come back from his summer break overweight.
Costa looks set for a summer departure but Hiddink, who succeeded the sacked Mourinho this week and faces his first match against resurgent Watford at Stamford Bridge on Boxing Day, reckons he can handle the volatile Spaniard.
 
"He's an emotional guy," said Hiddink. "When I think back a long time ago, I was subbed even as captain of the team. I wasn't used to that.
"It's fixed in my brain even though it was just after World War II. I was captain of my team and the manager substituted me at half-time. I thought I'd performed, but he didn't, and I took off my armband and threw it at him, saying, 'You make a new captain'.
"It was also an emotional reaction born of frustration. It was a sign of frustration. Sportsmen are allowed to show a bit of emotion, but they must know five or 10 seconds later that they're wrong.
 
"I've worked with Diego for a few days, and in the past I've seen him on television. From I have seen in the last few days, and with the last game he played against Sunderland, he was in control.
"He was focused more on what he was hired for here, which is to help to score or assist, not going into other things. I cannot have any complaints about him."
Hiddink, who may be without Belgian playmaker Eden Hazard today as he recovers from a hip problem, has ordered Costa to concentrate on what he is good at and what brought 20 goals last season.
 
"Diego can focus on what he is able to do," added Hiddink. "I cannot guarantee there won't be an outburst from him or others, but they have to focus on what they're good at."
Hiddink, who has also been encouraged to use the youngsters Mourinho largely ignored, had five training with the first team this week in Charlie Colkett, Ola Aina, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Bertrand Traore and Kenedy.
At least three are expected to figure in today's squad.

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top