Man Utd star: Why I turned down Liverpool to follow Old Trafford dream
Jesse Lingard revealed Liverpool were interested in him as a youngster
JESSE LINGARD has revealed he rejected interest from Liverpool as a youngster as his heart was always with Manchester United.
 
United's latest star, 22, has stepped seamlessly into the limelight at Old Trafford and was recently rewarded with his first call-up to the England national team.
However, he may have been plying his trade with United's fiercest rivals if scouts on Merseyside had got their way a number of years ago.
 
"I was at a local club Penketh United and Mike Glennie, a Manchester United scout, came to watch me," Lingard said.
"He spoke to my grandad and offered me trials but there was also interest from Liverpool and I had to pick. I was only young but obviously my heart was with United at the time.
"Going through the years, I was with Larnell Cole, Mike and Will Keane, Sam (Johnstone), Ravel (Morrison) and Tunners (Ryan Tunnicliffe).
 
Man Utd star: Why I turned down Liverpool to follow Old Trafford dream
Lingard's Manchester United form was recently rewarded with a call-up to the England squad
"There are a lot of lads still doing their thing at other clubs and they’re happy seeing me where I am.
"I’ve won a lot of trophies – like the FA Youth Cup and the reserves league a couple of times - but it would top it off to win the Premier League with the first team.
"I’ve worked ever so hard to get here and I can’t thank the coaches enough for sticking by me."

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top