'Daniel Craig is NOT my favourite James Bond' Sam Smith prefers Connery or Moore
'Daniel Craig is NOT my favourite James Bond' Sam Smith prefers Connery or Moore
SAM SMITH sings the theme tune for SPECTRE but Daniel Craig is not his favourite Bond. The Writing's On The Wall singer says he prefers Sean Connery and Roger Moore but that it's time for a black actor as 007.
 
He sings the theme song for the latest Bond film, so it seems a little rude that Smith isn't the greatest fan of Daniel Craig in the role.
Turns out that the 23-year-old prefer the more classic stylings of his predecessors.
And he thinks it's time for for a return to the slicker old-school ways of the films of 1960s and 1970s.
'Daniel Craig is NOT my favourite James Bond' Sam Smith prefers Connery or Moore
Going out on a bang? Is this Daniel Craig last outing as Bond
"I went back and watched them all. I realised that it’s Connery and Moore who I love the most," he says.
"I love how classy and clean-cut they are. I think I’d like the next Bond to be more of a return to that.' 
 
In an interview with NME magazine, Smith admitted that he originally favoured the grittier take of the current incumbent.
“He was my favourite initially, because I’m 23 years old," he adds.
"I hadn’t seen all the old movies, and I loved how modern his take on Bond was.”
With Daniel Craig publically saying he'd rather slit his wrists than make another Bond film, Smith thinks it's time for a new approach.
And does he agree with the groundswell of support for a black actor to take over as 007?
 
I definitely think it's time for a black James Bond
Sam Smith
“A black Bond would be incredible,” he reckons.
There has also been playful talk from Pierce Brosnan about a female Bond or even a gay Bond, but Smith isn't convinced.
“I’m not sure if the world is ready for a gay Bond, but I’m ready for it,” he says.
The record-breaking singer hopes that his SPECTRE theme song, Writing's On The Wall, reflects the painful emotional journey that Bond takes in the new film.
“You see him bleed, you see him battered and bruised, and I wanted the track to have that kind of vulnerability,” he says.
 
He recalls his nerves when he met with the director, Sam Mendes, and producer, Barbara Broccoli, to pitch for the job.
"My pitch was that I wanted to create something genuinely timeless and classy,” he explains.
“Sam was talking about how a lot of Bond songs are love songs, and how love is an underlying theme in all the films.
"I write love songs – that’s all I do! – and I felt that was something which could play to my strengths.
"So that’s what I set out to create, an epic love song.” 

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top